[TenTec] Emergency Power via Generator - Natural Gas

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Emergency Power via Generator - Natural Gas
From: <k8vf_mark@centurytel.net>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 00:35:17 -0500
Regarding natural gas freezing up....

You MAY(WILL) have occasional freeze ups of the gas regulators due to any
moisture in the gas lines.

This will only happen in sub zero weather but I have dealt with it numerous
times.

When a school building is down because of this, it is a big deal.  On more
than one occasion I have poured hot water on a gas regulator to thaw it out.
(Big 15" Maxon Regulators).

The other thing which can happen with gas is the vent on your regulator may
freeze up in certain situations leading to erratic operation as the
regulator then cannot function.  I have experienced this 3 times over 30
years. (moisture collected on the vent and it froze over- burners were very
erratic).

Propane powered generators generally develop more power than gas powered.

That being said, if I could get natural gas I would do it in a heartbeat.
(sure beats hauling oil to a diesel on the roof(bldg code would not allow
storage for the generator-but required the generator-go figure!)

To quote Mich-Con....."Gas is Best"

MArk