[TenTec] Orion Ergonomics, Key Clicks, etc.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion Ergonomics, Key Clicks, etc.
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 13:44:59 -0500

N4PY:
 >Or when I change bands everything gets restored to the
last values I had on that band even things like power output settings,
antenna settings, attenuators, preamps, and so on.

         Other rigs do much of this...the Elecraft K2 does
the above excluding power if I recall correctly.  TT could
easily do the same if they paid just a little more attention
to ergonomics.  Unfortunately they either do not care or
simply don't understand.  Nearly 4 years after introduction
Orion still does not even identify which of the 4 band stack
registers is selected.  I even think I could write firmware
to do that.

         Also on the SHAME list...Orion (and O2) CW Rise/Fall
defaults to 5 ms which ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEES key clicks!
Just this morning there were two new Orion II owners on
160 who were wondering why they had clicks with the default
setting of 5 ms.  Of course the root solution would be to
make the indicated settings agree with actual measurements,
which are approximately 50% of indicated.  There is simply
NO EXCUSE for this problem not being corrected in 4 years!
Shades of Yaesu's key click problem which was ignored for
15 years.

         Carl, I'm sure your software is great, but much of
it would be unnecessary if TT was doing their job.  You
can probably be thankful they are not since it creates a
nice opportunity for you.

                                         73,  Bill  W4ZV