[TenTec] Orion I and RIT

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion I and RIT
From: "Mark DeBord" <markinkpt@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 15:55:31 -0500
I have experienced the problem with the RIT control several months ago and
it went away after loading 2.059d and doing both of the resets. It has
worked flawlessly for months.

I started trying AM out with some of my buddies who wanted to try the mode
once a week on 75 and 40. As posted in another note, I have found that
V2.059d does not transmit AM at the normal carrier level in some of the band
stacks. It appears to not work in any of them on 40. So, to get around this
and just for testing, I switched to 373b5. I have continued to work like
that for several weeks and AM has worked great.

Then I noticed my RIT quit working again. So I could wiggle the control and
get it to work, but the next time I booted the rig up, it was not working
again.

I did both master resets and it did not fix anything. Since I had already
did the resets and erased everything, I wanted to load 2.059d again. After
problems...... I have ran it this way with long time spans between rig power
ups and it has yet to fail.

Being curious, I then loaded v1.372 back onto the rig and did both of the
resets. It continues to work fine.

So, I have NOT loaded the beta codes back (specifically b5), and it is still
too early, but I am wondering if anyone might want to try the same thing and
see if you have similar results? I fully understand there may be a true
hardware issue with some encoders, but maybe this is two different issues
dealing with the same control. I would encourage doing BOTH resets.

If I have it fail, I will reply to this repost. I may try b3, then go to b5
again, after a period of time, just to see if I get failure.

I am hoping this is a clue as to what might be going on with a few of us who
have seen an "issue" with RIT.

I am also curious if anyone has had the RIT "issue" on the Orion II? I do
not recall anyone mentioning this.

Thanks,
Mark KA4ICK