Re: [TenTec] Inrad Omni VI+ Audio Mod

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Inrad Omni VI+ Audio Mod
From: Bill Cotter <n4alg@qx.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:20:26 -0400
Larry,

To get the total value of this modification requires the purchase
of both 2.8kHz SSB filters (#754 & #755), plus the audio mod kit.
Having installed both filters and the audio kit, the result is
impressive - for ragchews and roundtables. For DX'ing, I still
punch in the 2.1kHz (Inrad) or 1.8kHz (TT) filters to squeeze down
the passband. Using a high quality external speaker makes a major
difference.

73 Bill N4LG

At 11:00 PM 3/14/2007, you wrote:
>I am think about making the Inrad audio mod to my Omni VI+.  It
>widens the audio frequency passband from 250 hz to 2800 hz instead
>of the stock 475 hz to 2105 hz.  Affects seem to be most notable
>in the low frequencies.  Being a DX'er, I am not sure an expanded
>low frequency response is what I want.  Seems that a rag chewer
>may be more interested in higher fidelity.  I would be interested
>in list members opinions especially from DX'ers and contesters.
>
>Larry, WA9MAG

Bill Cotter, N4LG             E-mail: n4alg@qx.net
173 Carolyn Lane               Home: (859) 887-5563
Nicholasville, KY 40356-9340   Work: (859) 323-6474

ARRL   ARCI #9878   QRPl #1646   QCWA #29393   FISTS #4535