Re: [TenTec] Band Stacking Registers - 2.038k (2.060b originalorion)

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Band Stacking Registers - 2.038k (2.060b originalorion)
From: BobK8IA@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 19:57:35 EDT

In a message dated 5/3/07 2:59:33 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
brent.zook@verizon.net writes:

That  happens with the original orion also.  I think this is a feature,
not  a bug.  If you are running cw on 80 in memory A, then you can switch
to 40, 20, etc and still be in memory A, presupposing you have it set
for cw.  Same for phone in memory B on each band.  If you want  it
different, set it up different.  This lets you keep track, day to  day,
of which memory is what.  Your problem is when you want to  operate
differently on a given day.

In that case, load your SSB  freq and mode into VFO 2, the CW freq and
etc into VFO 1, and switch them  back and forth by hitting the a/b
button, which will load the appropriate  mode and freq into VFO 1.

I realize there are circumstances where you  would want a different
memory scheme, but you can't please all of the  people all of the time.
I think Abraham Lincoln said  that.   --Brent N9HZ

I agree with Brent. Its a feature to my way of operating and not an
impediment at all.

Here's how I use it in my O2, and its very timely with 7QP (a  multi-mode
contest) coming up this weekend. N7RQ and I will be doing a  Multi-Single from
my
station. I plan to do all the cw here and N7RQ will do  all the ssb for this
contest.

In the "A" register I load all cw settings, freqs etc. In the "B"  register I
will load all the SSB settings, freqs etc. I can quickly go from cw  to ssb
just by hitting a band button of the band active. The only parameter I  need
that doesn't track is AGC and I can do that manually. So, in 2 seconds  I can
change modes from cw to ssb and she can be making q's. For example, she  can
bandswitch, then, by just by hitting a non-active band button as the  radio
will
stay in the "B" register for her.

OK, I know some of you guys and gals will say, "why dont you just  use the
USER 1 and USER 2 storage, assigning by mode?" You're right, it  transfers
everything beautifully, requires only one button push, BUT it  takes about 25
seconds to settle in. That's an eternity in my contesting. Two  seconds or 25
seconds, I know which I will chose.

It's a feature and I feel just as strongly about keeping it the way  it is
than breaking it the way some of you want it.

73, Bob  K8IA
Arizona  USA
http://members.aol.com/bobk8ia/