Re: [TenTec] Omni VII meter.

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII meter.
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 01:10:02 -0600
On Fri, 2007-05-18 at 20:35 -0400, k8vf_mark@centurytel.net wrote:
> 2) when using SWR for TX meter in SSB,  if I key the mic and DO NOT talk,
> the swr climbs up to 9.9:1 and stays there. As soon as I talk, it drops to
> the appropriate level.  Is this intentional, to advise that the mic is
> keyed?  or is it a function of the firmware?
>
> Any ideas?
>

> In my previous query, item 2 above:
>
> There is no actual output, but the meter indicates swr of 9.9:1 until I
> speak, ssb only.
>
> Question 3)  once I begin to speak in ssb mode with meter in swr, a red bar
> steps down  to the bottom of the swr markings, then back to the top, only to
> repeat itself as long as I am talking.
>
> If I stop talking, meter goes to 9:1 again.....no output observed.
>
> Does anyone know if this is normal behavior, or has anyone else seen it with
> the omni VII ?
>

> Thanks, MArk

Casual observation from afar would hint its showing that for the result
of dividing 0 by 0. Perhaps the SWR indication needs to have more hang
but to be inhibited until there is signal or to be totally inhibited
except while there is signal with some suitable hang period. Generally
an analog meter showing SWR tends to indicate 0 reflected power when
there is no forward power unless there is some nearby RF source that is
detected as reflected power. But once computed as SWR that stray source
should show a result of -1... All reverse power, no forward.

73, Jerry, K0CQ