Re: [TenTec] CW Tuning with Omni 6 Plus

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] CW Tuning with Omni 6 Plus
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 09:31:42 -0700
You are confusing two usages of "out of phase":

1. having 180 degrees (pi radians) phase difference

2. not being in phase -- having a phase relationship of anything
other than zero phase difference

As Jerry said adding two signals that are precisely 180 degrees phase
difference will result in a zero amplitude signal. Adding two signals
with a random phase relationship will result in a higher amplitude
signal.

The latter case is "always" the case unless you have the two tones
both phase-locked. Which you won't have in tuning two separate
oscillators. Their phases will be just randomly related.

When you zero beat something you are going for zero frequency
difference between the tones -- the audible beat signal goes to zero
FREQUENCY not zero amplitude sum tone.

--
Kevin Purcell
kevinpurcell@pobox.com