[TenTec] Omni 7 quirks?

To: "Carl Moreschi" <n4py@arrl.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 7 quirks?
From: "Denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 08:41:55 -0700
Hi Carl...I also sent the below to TT's service dept....and thought would
send you the same. What is your take on it?
After using my Omni 7 for a couple of weeks, I have ran across a few
items...

I usually use my MFJ 259B antenna analyzer to set the parameters on my link
coupled transmatchs for minimum swr. When I verified the settings wth the
Omni 7, I noticed that the settings agreed with both the antenna analyzer
and my Mirage MP-1 wattmeter when using the tune button on 20 watts output,
but when switching to 100 watts output, the Omni would read 1.5 to 2.0 to 1,
while the wattmeter would still indicate a flat load, irregardless of which
band. Is this normal?

While doing the above procedure, both 12 and 10 meters transmit into a flat
load would cause the Omni 7 to shut down due to excessive current draw
irregardless of power out setting and no rf output would be indicated on the
Mirage wattmeter. After shutting down the rig and turning off the power
supply overnight, both 12 and 10 meter bands will perform normally...showing
rf output on the wattmeter and no excessive current shutdown.
I have done master resets, flash reprogramming, shutting down the Omni 7
overnight with power supply left on, etc. to no avail...shutting down both
the rig and it's power supply for a period of time is the only way that I
have determined so far to reset the 12 and 10 meter functions to normal.
Sticky relay perhaps?

Thanks for all your help..Ten Tecs are the best!
de Denton, WB7TDG