Re: [TenTec] [Orion] "Technical Correspondence", August 2007 issue

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] [Orion] "Technical Correspondence", August 2007 issue
From: Martin AA6E <aa6e@ewing.homedns.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 17:56:22 -0400
The simplest definition of an SDR is a radio where the signal modulation
and detection are done in a programmable digital processor.  Other
digital filtering, mixing, and AGC are common in an SDR, but not essential.

By this definition, both the SDR-x000 and the Orion are SDRs.

The tech correspondence by Frank, AB2KT was about software development,
not a particular commercial product.  Frank and a co-author apparently
developed DttSP on their own.  They shared the source code after the
product was developed.  By the way, the DttSP "core" does not seem to be
actively developed or maintained.  The last update, according to
SourceForge, was 2 years ago.  PowerSDR development, specific to Flex
and to Windows (sigh), seems to be where the action is. It is still
open, however.

Ten-Tec, for better or worse, follows the traditional proprietary and
closed development process.

One of the main virtues of open source is the fact (or hope) that
software gets developed faster and better for the benefit of the user
community -- and, it just happens, also for the benefit of the hardware
vendors.  It is good that the QST letter has highlighted that point of
view.  (If someone wants to argue the reverse, let them also write a
letter!)

I expect that an objective comparison of the Ten-Tec vs Flex product
development would show that Flex has gotten more mature and capable
software in less time and development cost than TT has.  Whether that
means more people want to buy Flex systems, we'll have to leave to the
market.

73 Martin AA6E