Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...
From: wa3fiy@radioadv.com
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 14:45:55 -0400
On 26 Sep 2007 at 14:25, wa3fiy@radioadv.com wrote:

> >snip
> >

> The analog (525) Argosy had at least two versions of front end, the 1496
> and a diode ring mixer.  The change came around S/N 850 plus or minus,
> don't recall exactly.  I have two 525's with S/N's around 1000 and they both
> have the diode ring mixers.  From what I can tell, the front ends work just
> as
> well as the 525D.

OK, I just looked up Kevin's post

http://lists.contesting.com/_tentec/2007-04/msg00326.html

and see the note about a change effecting the noise blanker at S/N 824.  I'll
bet
a cup of coffee and donut that is when the 525 analog got the diode ring mixer.

Note that the 525 continued shipping some time after that.  Just looked.  My
latest 525 has S/N 1188 and my newest 525D has S/N 1810.  So the model
number switch came somewhere in between.  I have successfully used the
same noise blanker in both analog and digital Argosys.  Probably means that
there is one version of blanker for 1496 mixer versions and another for the
diode ring mixers.

Either the 525 with diode ring mixer or the 525D will turn in good performance.

73,

-Lee-