Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...

To: TenTec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argosy 525D setup...
From: "Dave Fritz" <dfritz@vt.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 09:15:39 -0400
Tom,

I have the older Argosy 525 analog version and it is a wonderful
little radio that I carry for camping, portable, field, and emergency
use. Mine is usually set to run 5W because it's easier on the AGM
battery I use for portable work.

The 525 and 525D originally had a 4 pole xtal filter that can be
replaced with a 218 or 220 8 pole SSB filter. There is also an extra
filter slot for a 217 or 219 CW filter. My 525 already had the 8 pole
SSB filter, but no CW xtal filter, noise blanker, or audio filter. I
made the well known AGC mods, rebuilt the PTO (parts still available
from TT), added the 217 500 Hz CW filter, and built my own "dead bug"
version of a CW audio filter (based loosely on the audio filter in my
Omni-B). My 525 has the analog dial, so I recently bought a FREQ-Mite
Morse Code Frequency Readout kit (from Small Wonder Labs) that I plan
to build and install as soon as I get some free time.

I have thought about getting something newer and smaller (Argonaut-V)
for portable use, but I have not been able to the get past the
simplicity and reliability of the Argosy (the "energizer bunny" of my
ham shack).

The only cons I can find with my Argosy are that there is no internal
keyer, and I hear that the output transistors are difficult to find
(have not needed any myself). The TenTec power supply has overvoltage
and overcurrent protection built into it, but to protect the output
transistors with mobile / battery / other power you should get a 10A
fast circuit breaker like the AirPax T11-0-10.0A-01-11A-V, available
from Poco Sales http://www.pocosales.com/

There is a 525D pdf manual at
http://www.qsl.net/tentec/manuals/manuals/525d.pdf
If the qsl.net connection is too slow or not working today, a copy is
archived on a server in my office at
http://quixote.ece.vt.edu/ki4cy/Manuals/TenTec/525d-Argossy-II/

The file name is  525d.pdf

The pfd quality is adequate for casual use and it will help you learn
about the rig until you can get the real thing or a replacement from
TenTec.

73, and have fun with your Argosy-D,   Dave
 David Fritz           Bradley Dept of Electrical Engineering
 540-231-3654       234 Whittemore Hall  0110
 KI4CY                 VA Tech
                           Blacksburg, VA   24061