[TenTec] O-I ALC problem?

To: "Ten Tec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] O-I ALC problem?
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 02:54:12 -0400
My Orion-I is intermittently dropping RF during CW transmission. For
example, if I send a stream of dashes, an external power meter fluctuates up
and down around the intended power level, sometimes dropping out completely
for a fraction of a second. The ALC light goes dark when this happens. I've
only tested it on two bands, but it tends to happen more frequently on 40m
than 20m. If I put the rig in TUNE mode, however, the output is steady as a
rock. This suggests an ALC problem.

Has anyone seen this symptom before? If so, were you able to correct it by
tweaking the ALC adjust pot? Speaking of that, does anyone know the
procedure for setting the ALC pot? I was thinking of marking the current
position and making small adjustments up or down to see if that corrects the
problem.

BTW, the O-I in question is a used 2003-vintage rig I just bought to replace
my O-I that was killed by lightning. The rig was sent back to the factory by
the previous owner about a year ago for a minor repair, and all current
updates were performed (I have the invoice.) The radio was tested and burned
in for 24 hours. The radio wasn't taken out of the box after that service
until I picked it up this afternoon.

73, Dick WC1M