[TenTec] Orion II AM Mic Adjustment

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II AM Mic Adjustment
From: ac9s@mchsi.com
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 19:52:12 +0000
I have begun to play with AM on the O2 and it appears the microphone settings
are significantly different than with SSB.  I am running a Heil Goldline
through an NCS multiswitcher.  With the current gain setting on the NCS box I
have the red led on the O2 flickering with the O2 software mic setting at 18.
Today I checked in with an AM group on 3875khz and was informed that my audio
was light.  Sure enough, there was no flicker on the led.  I turned the mic
gain almost up to 100 - I could see increased gid current on my amplifier, but
never a sign of the led lighting.  The group informed me the audio level had
increased, but that it was still a little on the light side.

Does the LED work on AM?  Should the mic gain be radically different between
SSB and AM?  I didn't see anything specific in the manual.

Thanks for any input on the proper way to set the mic gain on AM.

Keith
AC9S