Re: [TenTec] dual receive

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] dual receive
From: Kevin Purcell <kevinpurcell@pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 19:00:30 -0700
I own a couple of them.

The front end is not dissimilar to an Argosy (RF amp then homemade
diode ring) but it's biggest problem is it is lacking preselection.
So its exposed to every signal from MW to 30MHz.

Of course preselection doesn't help close in signals.

In the ARRL review (and a receiver comparison) the measured values of
SFDR was a lot worse than TT claimed for it. The measurements were
noise limited so there are issues with the PPL that might impact
close in signal performance.

Blocking dynamic range, 500 Hz filter
3.5 MHz 111 dB*
14 MHz 109 dB*

Two-tone, third order IMD dynamic range, 500 Hz filter
3.5 MHz 84 dB*
14 MHz 82 dB*

Third-order intercept **
3.5 MHz -7.4 dBm
14 MHz -10.7 dBm

Not very exciting numbers.

Is this front end design similar to the Paragon?

RF amp/diode ring, up conversion to high IF, with a Moto PLL (one of
those MC 14xxx).

--
73 DE N7WIM / G8UDP
Kevin Purcell