Re: [TenTec] bringing up an old amp

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bringing up an old amp
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 16:45:40 -0600
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 15:23 -0700, Clark Savage Turner wrote:
> Anyone have a quick link or a reference to the right way to bring up an
> old amp power supply?  I have a variac for both 120 and 220, and I got
> an old friend's Drake L4B, not used for at least 10 years (maybe more)
> and nothing was apparently wrong when it was stored (he was looking for
> chimney's of some sort).  I'd like to bring the power supply up so that
> the electrolytic caps will work once again.  I'd love to find basic,
> detailed instructions, its something I've never attempted before.
> Thought I'd ask here, most trusted list I know :-)

In theory bring it up slowly current limited to reform the capacitors.
But in my experience more have failed immediately than I've successfully
reformed. New electrolytics are more sure to work. More than one failed
electrolytic for me has filled the chassis with shredded foil and
electrolyte filled crepe paper. A really tough mess to clean up. Old
electrolytics don't get that chance anymore.

73, Jerry, K0CQ