Re: [TenTec] bringing up an old amp

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] bringing up an old amp
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 12:56:45 -1000

>> Anyone have a quick link or a reference to the right way to bring up an
>> old amp power supply?  I have a variac for both 120 and 220, and I got
>> an old friend's Drake L4B, not used for at least 10 years (maybe more)
>> and nothing was apparently wrong when it was stored (he was looking for
>> chimney's of some sort).  I'd like to bring the power supply up so that
>> the electrolytic caps will work once again.
>>

> In theory bring it up slowly current limited to reform the capacitors.
> But in my experience more have failed immediately than I've successfully
> reformed. New electrolytics are more sure to work. More than one failed
> electrolytic for me has filled the chassis with shredded foil and
> electrolyte filled crepe paper. A really tough mess to clean up. Old
> electrolytics don't get that chance anymore.

Not used for at least 10 years, and the capacitors are certainly a lot
older than that. When you compare the cost and labor of buying new ones
and putting them in first, versus the cost and labor of cleaning up the
mess of exploded old capacitors AND buying new ones and putting them in,
I think the best choice is just to buy new ones and put them in first.

I wonder if you could fit an oil filled capacitor of similar capacitance
value and voltage rating in the same space, instead of using electrolytics?

DE N6KB