[TenTec] Receive Audio Mod INRAD

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Receive Audio Mod INRAD
From: John Rippey <w3uls73@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:23:07 -0400
Hi, Barry:

"for those looking for wider receive audio bandwidth, there's just no
comparison between the Omni6 (ARRL measured 1630hz bandwidth) and the
FT-1000MP (capable of ~ 3000hz bandwidth in EDSP mode with wide filter
engaged)."

Two comments. 1. Why try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? For
excellent receive audio, I have a JRC JST-245 and a TS-870S which I
would match up against any other transceivers out there. But I'm not
interested in Hi-Fi SSB audio. Could care less, in fact.

2. There was a huge difference in audio quality between the OMNI VI I
own now compared to an earlier one I owned, which was scratchy and
distorted.  When I bought the JST-245 as a second rig, I was astonished
to hear the difference in intelligibility excellent audio can make. Of
course, it's possible the old OMNI was defective, but what did I know?
As a used rig, it had cleared the T-T shop, so I assumed it was OK.

73,
John, W3ULS