Re: [TenTec] For Sale Omni A/B and power Supply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] For Sale Omni A/B and power Supply
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2007 20:44:22 -0600
On Fri, 2007-11-09 at 17:22 +0000, jones_winston@bellsouth.net wrote:
> John,
>
> You are correct. Sounds like you did a lot of research.
>
> By the time the Omni Series C came along, there were no analogs so there was
> no need of Ten-Tec to call it the Omni D, Series C. The whole thing is
> confusing to some because it appears the "C" model came after the "D."
> I used to own one and always referred to it as the Omni C. Although the Omni
> C was the first Ten-Tec to feature the new WARC bands, many people, like
> myself, discovered that the 17 meter band emitted some spurs because of the
> IF frequency. I understand the IF scheme was later changed in the Delta and
> Corsair to eliminate the problem.
>
> 73, Winston K4CWQ

yah, low side LO injection with a 9 MHz IF gets twice the LO (9 x 2 = 18
MHz) through the mixer at least as strong as the desired signal but it
puts USB as the normal side band. Later radios use high side injection
with the LO up at 27 MHz and only the 2nd harmonic of the IF leaks
through but its weaker. The rub is that USB is the opposite from normal
sideband that way.

73, Jerry, K0CQ