Re: [TenTec] 227 Tuner Replacement

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 227 Tuner Replacement
From: "Ron Notarius W3WN" <wn3vaw@verizon.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 17:39:58 -0500
Thanks to all for the suggestions, both those posted here and those sent
privately, on the tuner and on the more-or-less inverted "L" antenna.

As it turns out, funds just got a touch tighter than expected due to an
unanticipated expense, so I have to put the tuner replacement on hold for
the moment.

So, first order of business, probably Saturday morning, will be to work on
the feedpoint, get a few things straightened out, and make sure I have a
better ground connection to the chain link fence.  Probably add some radials
too.  Then, I'm going to dig an old, large, copper coil I have out of the
garage, along with some caps, and make a 160 loading coil for the wire.
(Those of you who've had or seen the 160 add-on to the HF4, 5, 6, & 9
verticals will have an idea of what I have in mind).  When time, wire, and
weather permit, I'm going to try and get some more wire up into an adjacent
tree, and eventually attach it to the end of the existing wire, which will
give the end about 20 - 30 feet more height and hopefully at least another
~25 - 30 feet in length.

We'll get there!  Hopefully in time for the 160 contest, if not CQ WW CW
(yeah, I know, I'm dreaming)

Thanks again to all.

73, ron w3wn