[TenTec] Electrolytic Capacitors

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Electrolytic Capacitors
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 07:30:45 -1000
This post is quite off topic. It only relates to Ten-Tec radio equipment
vaguely, since there are electrolytic capacitors in them. I ask the
question here, because I know there are knowledgeable people here who
may be able to provide some insight.

Electrolytic capacitors require a voltage across them to maintain the
oxide layer which is the dielectric between the plates, right? If they
have no voltage across them for long periods, then they are likely to
fail when full rated voltage is applied, right? What about an
electrolytic capacitor which has a much higher voltage rating than that
which appears across it in the circuit? Would the capacitor ESR increase
over time until it fails, in an open (or real high ESR) mode? For
instance what would you expect from a 25 VDC rated electrolytic
capacitor which never has more than 5 volts applied to it?

Thanks in advance.

DE N6KB