Re: [TenTec] rtty

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] rtty
From: "Richard Williams" <richardw@mho.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 11:21:43 -0700
Steve,

For years I ran the Hal DXP-38 with many rigs (including the O I and O II).
I currently use the O II and am using the RigExpert Standard to interface
the radio to the computer.

Though the DXP-38 was a good piece of equipment, one day when I was
experimenting with computer RTTY programs, much to my surprise I found MMTY
to "beat the socks off" the DXP-38 on weak signal decoding.   Have a friend
down the street from me who had the O II, DXP -38, and a RigBlaster for
interface.  Called him and asked him to do try the MMTY program.  To make a
short story even shorter, we both sold are DXP-38's and are using the MMTY
program.

Personally, I like to use the FSK mode on the Orion II;    just a pesonnal
choice and a very easy way to get on the air quickly.   The only "stumbling
block" is deciding wheather to set the FSK Tx Data in the menu of the O II
to Mark High or Low.  Once you solve that riddle, you should be set.  One
other advantage is, depending on how you have your mic wired in, you don't
have to worry about stray audio finding its way onto your RTTY signal when
using AFSK.

The only advantage of the RigExpert is that it has a built in sound card,
thus you do not have to tie up the computer sound card and it can be used
for other things.  Also, you just have one small USB cable running to the
computer.   The RigExpert had a very good write up in QST when they were
comparing sound cards for amateur use.

I bet you might find MTTY to do a better job with RTTY than the PK232.

Good luck

Dick K8ZTT