Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ keyer instability

To: alan.n5na@gmail.com,Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni 6+ keyer instability
From: Peter Inskeep <pinskeep@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 20:35:22 -0800 (PST)
The keyer speed control knob on the Omni VI Plus (not sure about other
versions) is very "touchy."  I found that my "comfortable" keying speeds were
in a very narrow range, perhaps between 10:30 am and 12:00 on the knob.

I put a 4k ohm resistor across the keyer speed pot wiper arm, the middle one,
and the arm closest to the outside of the chassis, which would be the left side
when one is facing the rig.  I believe that these are the same two pot arms
that the cap in the tentecwike mod refers to.  I did not find out about the
tentecwiki mod until after I soldered the resistor in, but I plan to do that
mod as well soon.

Only the top of the rig has to come off to do this.  The pot is clearly visible
and easily identifiable, as it is attached to the keyer speed knob. (sic.).

Of course, who knows what terrible damage the above suggested mod could do to
your rig, so I take no responsibility for anything that might happen as a
result of attempting this mod.

pete, no2d.

Alan Sewell <alan.n5na@gmail.com> wrote: Jack,

You might give this a try.