Re: [TenTec] 40M Band Sweeps

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 40M Band Sweeps
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 15:42:56 -0500
> "What sweeping folks might observe on 40m is probably ionosonde
experiments,
or other the horizon radar.  There used to be an HF facility in Eastern
Canada that intruded on the ham bands from time to time.  And, it might be
military related, depending on what strength you are receiving."

The sweeps occur every ten minutes or so -- sometimes less and sometimes a
secondary sweep trails the primary sweep by 1-2 seconds at the same sweep
rate.  Most of the time, signal strength is 20-30 dB over S9 at all times of
the day.

Periodically, I hear it sweep at lower levels.  It's most apparent on radios
with continuous sweep displays like the Orion and IC-7800 because the signal
is continuously displayed on the graph during the sweep cycle.

I am listing on my remote station from the office right now and the sweeps
are occurring at intervals of 1-3 minutes.

Paul, W9AC