Re: [TenTec] Subject: Abbreviations used by amateurs.doc

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Subject: Abbreviations used by amateurs.doc
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 20:51:48 +0000
Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 10:23 -0500, Bwana Bob wrote:

>> Wasn't the Ten Tec Paragon sold under GSA contract to government
>> agencies? I wonder if any are tucked away in a corner of an embassy comm
>> room somewhere... Just in case.
>
> At least one such station showed up in FEMA circles for domestic use.
>
> Some of those tend to use the B&W leaky dummy load antenna for rapid
> frequency change. (T2FD)

The State Department E&E radio gear used those B&W folded dipoles with
the big resistor in the center.  They worked relatively poorly but
allowed us to operate on all bands.  Transworld made/makes some nice 500
and 1000w output solid state amps which we used with the 100w transceiver.

> ALE and picky equipment stability and selectivity rules have made much
> workable HF equipment not acceptable on government HF bands.

That might be true within the U.S. but it certainly isn't the case
outside the U.S.  The Transworld stuff is made strictly for
point-to-point use and it has something called Transcall which hopped
through the programmed frequencies, chirping at the desired distant
station until it found the best.  It wasn't ALE but it worked.

Dave K8MN