Re: [TenTec] Subject: Embassy antennas

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Subject: Embassy antennas
From: Dave Heil <k8mn@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 23:15:43 +0000
Ken Brown wrote:
> About time the subject line got changed.....

You're right.

> I always thought that log periodics and discone antennas are seen on
> embassies and military installations not so much because they use a wide
> range of HF frequencies, but rather so that they do not make it so
> obvious what frequencies they do use.

If it is encrypted, there's no problem.  Anyone with a portable
shortwave receiver can sit outside some embassy and figure out at least
one of the frequencies being used.  Any host country with any sort of
security service could figure out which transmit frequency is in use
within a couple of minutes.  They just don't know what is being transmitted.

Dave K8MN