Re: [TenTec] Omni VII first impressions....odd things i.e. SWRvalues

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII first impressions....odd things i.e. SWRvalues
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:27:48 -0600
Would be interested to know what the output power is doing both with the
internal meter and with a external meter when this event occurs.   Does it
behave the same way with ANT 1 and ANT 2?  I trust that you have the AUTO
TUNER off.  This would aid in identifying the area of concern.

Again the way this internal meter system works, it is sampled and displayed
via digital processing loop.  Thus, due to time vs. calculation differences,
using anything other than a solid carrier I would consider as non-valid.
Also, I suggest connecting the radio with a known good jumper to the
external meter, a known good jumper to a known good dummy load.  And I'd
check it on different bands.  If the problem persists, I'd contact Paul at
Tentec Service.

At he same time, I tried my radio on CW, 20 WPM, with the dummy load.  The
internal SWR indication was 2.4:1 when with carrier it shows 1.0:1.  I also
noted that on various bands, in CW at 20 WPM, the SWR was different from
band to band with higher values SWR on 15M, 12M & 10M than on 160M, 80M &
40M.  In all cases, solid carrier TUNE/PWR shows 1.0:1 on all bands and the
external power meter shows 0 reflected watts.

I just went through this exercise with my Omni VII.  Using the internal
meter, in TUNE output power indicated 20W, press PWR and it reads 100 watts.
I did this 10 times with identical results.  Then changed the meter to SWR
and perfumed the same test sequence.  SWR indicted 1.0:1 at both power
levels, 20 watts TUNE and 100 watts PWR

I then switched the 238 tuner inline between the load and the Bird 43P.
Adjusted the tuner for 0 watts reflected on the Bird.  The Tentec SWR
indication was 1.0:1.  I then changed the C value in the 238 tuner to show
about 4 watts reflected {had to change slugs to read this low}which should
have been a SWR of about  1.6:1.  The Tentec SWR indicated 1.4:1.  At a
different SWR value being 100 watts forward and 10 watts reflected on the
Bird, thus from the chart a SWR of 2.0:1 the Tentec SWR indication was 2.1 :
1.  Darn close I'd say.

The Bird 43 P with a 250 watt element shows some 18 watts in TUNE and 90
watts in PWR on 75M.  The load on the Bird meter is a 50.5 ohm Bird load.
My Omni VII produces some 90 watts on 75M and a gradual decrease per band to
80 watts on 10 meters.  The Vcc is 14 volts at the power supply and likely a
few tenths less at the radio with the supplied Tentec full length power
cable.  I also noted that the supply amp meter indicated 19 amps for 90
watts output on 75M and 22 amps for 80 watts on 10 meters.  For what ever
that's worth.

73
Bob, K4TAX