Re: [TenTec] Centaur Power Cord

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur Power Cord
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2008 09:43:55 -0600
A bit more detail and history:

In the old NEC convention a 230 volt service was made up of three wires.
Those being L1, L2 and ground or neutral being the third wire.  Standard
colors are Black, White and Green.  This is the same color convention and
colors for a 115 VAC service.    In the new NEC convention there should be 4
wires being L1, L2, Neutral and Ground.  Standard colors are Red, Black,
White and Green.  At the breaker panel the White and Green are generally
connected to the ground buss.  In some local codes they require that the
neutral buss be separated from the ground buss. Usually there is a green
strap in the breaker panel to meet both type of codes.

In the 230 volt service, voltage between L1 and Neutral should be 115 volts
and voltage between L2 and Neutral should be 115 volts.  The Neutral carries
any difference in current in the values of L1 and L2.  Thus if the amp has a
115 volt fan, it is connected internally between L1 and Neutral.  Thus the
current in L1 is greater than the current in L2.  The difference is carried
on the Neutral.  The Green is always a safety ground and carries no current
unless a fault occurs.

One can use a 3 wire power cord for the amp for 230 volt service. I would
strongly suggest that the voltage rating be checked and it should be 600
volts and not the typical 300 volt rating.

The point being, either can be used correctly and safely. Just be careful
and be sure of how things are wired.

73
Bob, K4TAX