Re: [TenTec] STANDARDISATION OF S-METER READINGS

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] STANDARDISATION OF S-METER READINGS
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 22:34:34 -0800
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 21:15:51 -0600, Bob McGraw - K4TAX wrote:

>Fortunately most companies today do adhere to and have adopted the
>50 uV for S-9 as the standard and one S unit change is 6 dB signal
>change.

Really?  I doubt it. I own two TS850s and two FT1000MPs. I haven't
measured the sensitivity of S9 (I simply didn't pay attention), but
I looked at the value of an S-unit. In general, S8 to S9 is usually
be 6 dB, but S7 to S8 is less, and S-units below S6 are about 3 dB
on a good day. YMMV. Standard adhered to by manufacturers? Ya gotta
be kidding.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC