Re: [TenTec] Omni VII on 50 mHz

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VII on 50 mHz
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 18:12:35 -0600
I have never seen an Omni VII.  I went the transverter route, starting
out with the Ten Tec kits, with my Argonaut II transceiver as the IF
radio.  They worked well, but were not spectacular.  Recently, I built
up two of the Elecraft transverters, one for 6 and one for 2 meters.  I
am using them with the Omni V and made some contacts during the contest
this weekend.  I tried using the Corsair II as the IF radio to allow
cross mode contacts, but wound up having problems with drive level.  It
required different settings for the drive control on CW and on SSB, so
it was not just a matter of flipping a switch to change modes.  I tried
several different settings of the ALC control, and it still would
overdrive the transverters on voice peaks.  Besides, I am having a ball
with the Corsair II on 80 meter CW right now.  I may go back to using
the Argonaut II as the IF radio.  Like the Omni V, it is not easy to
make cross mode contacts, but the noise blanker is infinitely better
than the ones in the Omni V and Corsair II.  The Elecraft 2 meter
transverter just got back from their excellent service staff, and is
properly aligned.  I noted that K9NS, who is a local contest effort
would overload the 2 meter transverter, but not the 6 meter one.  Those
guys are LOUD.  My limited experience is such to tell me to continue to
use a transverter stack.  I may add 222 and 432 MHz transverters as time
and finance permit.  The Elecrafts are nice in that they are easily
bandswitched.  They have some shortcomings on setting LO frequency when
not used with Elecraft IF radios, but so far I am satisfied.

Steve WA9JML

snip...