Re: [TenTec] voice peaks still low on paragon

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] voice peaks still low on paragon
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:26:11 -1000
Hi John,

What do you mean by "voice peaks"? How are you measuring "voice peaks"?
You cannot really see voice peaks with the built-in meter on the Paragon
or Paragon II, or most any rig that uses a moving coil meter with a
simple diode detector power indicating circuitry. To really see voice
peaks you need an oscilloscope. You may be able to measure peak power
with a wattmeter that has a peak power measurement mode. The difference
in what you see on your Paragon versus other rigs (if you are talking
about the meter in the rig) could be just due to differences in the time
constants in the power detector circuitry, or the inertia of the meter
movement. You could have identical real RF power envelopes from two
rigs, yet have radically different power meter readings because of
differences in the time constants of the metering system.

DE N6KB