Re: [TenTec] Orion Relay Noise

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion Relay Noise
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:38:52 -0600
Fact:  Relays make a click upon being energized and to a lesser extent when
de-energized. They are mechanical devices.

Now, the amount of noise is related largely to the design of the relay, its
physical size and its mounting method.  Thus any rigid coupling to a board
or metal support serves as a sound board hence making things louder.  Some
have reported that lifting the relay from the mounting and supported it on
flexible wires such as "solder wick" has reduced the noise.  Again, one must
consider the physical support, its method, and any change in lead lengths
for this to be effective.

The Omni VI Plus and the Paragon II have relays and they click.  Not
considered a problem as the noise was no louder than the spinning hard drive
in the computer.

My Omni VII and Centurion amp both have relays.  They click when energized
and de-energized and that is frequent when operating QSK CW.  It is just
fact of life and doesn't bother me at all as I use headphones when working
CW.  As to SSB or other modes, a little click here and there is not a
concern.  It you want a totally silent rig, then you want one that does not
use relays.

73
Bob, K4TAX