Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] ORION II CW pile up readability
From: Jerry Volpe <kg6tt@arrl.net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:45:28 -0800
"OK, I brought this up before, and was specifically told that "low RF
gain and high AF gain," as is traditional in analog radios, does not
apply to the O2."

I am going to get some flak here (which is why I read this reflector less and
less these days) for what I am about to add... but here goes:

I must emphatically disagree with the comment quoted above. Why? I actually
operated with the same thought for nearly two years and in that time I learned
to hate my Orion a bit more each day.... much for the same comment regarding CW
readability in a pile up, but also to weak signal audio distortion, extreme AGC
compression and clicks in the speaker and headphones. Regarding this particular
reflector thread....There is just too much AGC compression taking place in the
Orion if the RF Gain is at maximum. However like most hams I had gotten use to
not touching that control. Fact many transceivers don't even have an RF Gain
control (and generally sorely missed).

About three months ago I was talking (complaining) to one of my engineering
friends at Ten-Tec regarding 'clicks' in the audio when I key. It was one of
many things that continued to annoy me... and was really on my mind as I had
just completed a CW contest and my ears were in pain. Anyway, I was hoping that
there might finally be a 'fix' for this problem. At one point during our
conversation he asked me how I set my RF GAIN, PREAMP, and ATTEN during normal
operation. I explained that I normally didn't adjust down the RF Gain control
unless maximum attenuation and no RF Preamp still resulted in too much signal
(i.e. 40 or 80 meters at night with S7 or above noise floor). I could hear a
'frown' forming itself over the phone... and then he (a long time CW operator)
explained what my engineering background had me consider a bunch of times but
eventually ignored. Basically he said, to NOT use the attenuator unless I was
in a genuine overload situation and that I actually would wa
 nt to have the RF Preamp in under most conditions.... and that I should
advance the audio output as high as possible and use the RF Gain to reduce the
final audio level to what was pleasant to my ears. Sounded a lot like 'pre
product detector days' to me. But frankly I was just about to give up on my
Orion 565 (latest version 2.x) at that point.... already doing a lot of K3
research. So I decided to listen and maybe learn.

We discussed the A-D converters in the Orion and that it was their practical
sampling limit.... or max range of ability.... that made it important to keep
the Preamp IN. The object there is to make sure that there is sufficient signal
available to the A-D converters so that the conversion produced a better
sampling overall (think of early audio CDs). If the RF energy applied to the
A-D converters is too weak then the conversion process generates too few
samplings... resulting in continual sampling errors which many of us experience
as 'distorted' weak signal audio (I certainly had). Then it was explained
(rather nicely) how the DSP derived AGC should be minimized.... even partially
defeated by the Orion's RF GAIN control and that leaving the RF Gain MAX would
result in extreme AGC compression and initial AGC overshoot.... even overdrive
the following audio stages momentarily (resulting in the clicks and yet another
situation of discernible audio distortion). The high AGC comp
 ression on the CW signals coming through the same passband lessened my ability
to sort through CW pile ups and created the ever present key clicks (especially
in the headphones) as a side effect. Think about it.... to discern one CW
signal from another you need audible 'markers' to help you separate them from
each other. Since most of today's CW transmitters output essentially pure notes
(no chirp, drift, hummm, etc.)so what we have left is separation in note...
differing audio levels... and differing keying characteristics (speed, hand
key, keyer, keyboard, dot-dash ratio, etc.). So eliminating differing audio
levels (extreme AGC compression) eliminates one normally important factor that
helps us separate. And if you further consider the eventual conversion back
from digital to audio you can see the advent of more audio 'error' since the
digital signal that is being converted is merely the sum of all digitized RF
signals through the bandpass at any particular moment. No mat
 ter how good the digital to audio conversion at this point it will generate
more apparent error when compared to a well engineered, fully analog signal
path. This apparent conversion error adds to the ear's confusion when working
overtime to separate so many signals.... so closely spaced... during extreme
reception conditions... i.e. CW contest.

Finally.... learning to operate with the RF gain used to control the audio
output (Audio GAIN at or near maximum) produces the best signal-to-noise ratio
in the Orion's receiver. And isn't that what we usually want?

So before you completely dismiss what I have written why not do what I did....
I turned off my automatic 'disbelief' button for a few weeks and started
considering my Orion as a unique receiver that simply didn't provide its best
performance when driven in a conventional manner. I began driving it as
recommended and soon afterwards I began to develop a new respect for the
Orion's abilities. And no more audio clicks... no more extreme AGC
compression... no more weak signal distortion.... and I could more easily
separate the piles of CW signals during a contest... or simply during the hunt
for new DX.

73,
Jerry, KG6TT
Fairfield, CA