Re: [TenTec] O2_dreps_top_spot

To: geraldj@storm.weather.net, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] O2_dreps_top_spot
From: <pa5mw@home.nl>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:32:56 +0100
Having used the Orion at home (electric fence noise is just 150ft away) and at
an contest site (PI4TUE with many antennas @220ft level) I have not encountered
any situation where I could not get rid of the noise, yet.

We have no powerlines up in the air in our country though.
I have not had the chance to experience any heavy thunder crashes on the band
yet.

The Orion(s) have an extra optional AGC position where you can enter your
custom settings.
There are different optimal settings possible depending on local criteria.
For me this works great. The manual clearly describes these optional user
settings.
Have not experienced any distortion due to wrong AGC behavior on impulse
signals.

The bandwidth control IS still unsurpassed by today. Turn BW down to 100Hz and
you get the same great audio as with any width. NO ringing, NO digital
artifacts.
That is unique. I still find that amazing and its more than I ever expected.

'73 Mark, PA5MW