Re: [TenTec] Live and Learn

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Live and Learn
From: "Rob Atkinson" <ranchorobbo@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:24:39 -0600
Thanks Bob; I apologize Carl--I guess I did not get a good
understanding of the situation before I responded the first time.   I
won't comment on the electronic payment systems as I guess I just had
bad luck with them.  When it comes to buying, at the risk of seeming
to be a hypocrite, I usually go with established dealers, people I
know, or at least situations where I can travel and see the
merchandise, fire it up and watch it work.  I would probably never
purchase a major item like a rig, from a stranger at a distance going
only on photos now.   I believe most hams are honest, and without
piling it on too much I hope, I think that's especially the case with
the hams here on this reflector, but most hams are not regularly
buying and selling.   There's something about wheeling and dealing
that attracts the dishonest minority so when you dip into that part of
the hobby, you get some exposure to those few hams out there who are
into deception.   The one time I bought a rig at a distance from an
unknown sight unseen I got burned.  It was pretty unpleasant and so
perhaps I am now at the cautious extreme.

73

rob / k5uj