Re: [TenTec] Live and Learn

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Live and Learn
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 15:54:52 -0600
That is absolutely correct.  Even with Cashier Checks, if deposited into
your account and then found to be a forged check or stolen check the bank
will debit your account for the amount of the check.  This is one of the
popular foreign internet scams.

It goes like this.  A person offers to pay you say 4 times your asking price
for a radio with the understanding you will be advised to transfer the
overage to another account or send the balance by Western Union to their
"agent" for payment on their account.  You agree, they send you a legit
looking $4000 Cashier Check, you deposit it, ship the radio to their address
and send the $3000 to their "agent" by Western Union.  Then 10 days or so
later the bank advises you that the Cashier Check is a forgery or a stolen
check.  You are then debited the amount of the original check and you are
out the $3000 you sent by Western Union.  You are now out the radio, the
$4000 deposit and $3000 cash out of your account.

I've received two of these offers, one after listing a Tentec radio for sale
here on the Reflector and another from the Collins reflector.  Fortunately,
I didn't fall off of the turnip truck yesterday and realized from the
beginning that it was a scam.  I kept the radio, got their check via the
mail and turned it over to the bank, but not for deposit.  The Feds take
over from there.  Of course the sender is out of the country and virtually
impossible to locate and prosecute.

73
Bob, K4TAX