[TenTec] Orion 1 and/or 2, Manual Notch Outside AGC Loop?

To: "TenTec Reflector" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion 1 and/or 2, Manual Notch Outside AGC Loop?
From: "Scott" <h2z8.zt18@att.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:02:07 -0600
I've never owned a TenTec radio and currently have a 20 year old Icom. Great
radio but it is time for a change. A friend suggested that I consider the
Orion.

Here is something that I read on another news group with my paraphrasing.
Any truth to the following?

The manual notch is outside of the receiver's AGC loop. The result is that
notching a strong CW signal leaves the desired weak CW signal in the mud
because the AGC voltage is derived from the stronger signal. Firmware CANNOT
fix this problem.

Scott

K5DD