Re: [TenTec] OmniV and PSK31 -- any experience to be shared??

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniV and PSK31 -- any experience to be shared??
From: Paul <designer@quickdata.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 20:00:34 -0700
Sounds like the problem here is when someone reads, "Open the TX
full" they think that means TX at full output. When I started in PSK
I ran at a lower power level (15W on an ArgoV) but as I've been away
for about a year I posed the question to the digital newsgroups. The
majority said the current trend is to run the TX "full" but reduce
the power out by sound input - something about more linearity.

Again - this does NOT mean to put 100 Watts of full PSK audio on the
air. The power out is controlled by the audio drive. so it is about
30W or so.

I was able to work Europe and South America with 15-18W and the ArgoV
with a windom 20 feet off the ground. Though I usually hear the PSK
tones, one day I experienced the magic of just hearing static, yet
PSK print was being decoded by the software program.

For simple-to-the-max, I used a Rascal interface plugged into the
line level out DIN jack in the back of the ArgoV. No messing with
anything on the front of the Rig. Just adjust the PC sound card
levels and let the serial cable from the PC to the Rascal to the DIN
jack control the PTT - no VOX adjustments, etc.

PSK puts the fun back into DX because I don't have to wait 1.5 hours
for the 700W and more rigs to get done so the guy in Sweden could
hear my 20W. We communicated just fine (SSB) once I wasn't
overwhelmed by the power guys.  But with the new digital modes we all
run very low. Higher levels gives you a bad signal and could easily
burn up your finals.

73
Paul