[TenTec] Triton IV questions

To: "tentec" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Triton IV questions
From: "JAMES HANLON" <knjhanlon@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:26:05 -0600
Y'all,

I just acquired a Triton IV, the digital model, and I'm having fun putting it
on the air.  Unfortunately the manual with it is for the analog model, so I
have a few unanswered questions that I thought I might pose to this group.

First, I notice that there is a "zero beat" switch associated with the RF gain
control, but it doesn't seem to do anything.  If I had designed the rig, I
might have wired this switch so that it would cut the drive off so that I could
match the 750 Hz sidetone oscillator pitch with the incoming signal without a
carrier on the air.  But it doesn't seem to work that way.  (My schematic for
the analog rig shows that switch controlling the calibrator.)  Would you please
tell me what the zero beat switch is supposed to do, and is there any way,
short of just turning down the drive, of zeroing a signal.

Also, the power supply that came with the rig is a model 262G, and the info I
have is only for the 252G.  The difference is that the 262G has a VOX circuit
with associated VOX Gain and VOX Delay controls.  The Delay control seems to
adjust the "hang time" that the rig stays on after I speak into the mike, but
I'm not quite sure what the VOX Gain control does.  Can you give me a
description of what it does?

Thanks very much,

Jim Hanlon, W8KGI