[TenTec] Orion II vs K3

To: "TenTec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Orion II vs K3
From: "Wayne Whitman" <wwhitman@fastmail.fm>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 20:28:13 -0500
Well, I thought this topic would get a few readers at least.

Please note that this is not a post to start a flame war or a contest of
sorts, or even a comparison of performance or features.  I've read all
of that.
I want to know how the cw sound compares and how the passband tuning
works.  Unfortunately, I can't make it to Dayton to try one out.

I'm interested in the opinions of any who have used both of these rigs
on cw.

First, let me say that I own an Orion II and it is an outstanding radio
in many respects and I'm not looking to replace it.
I guess I could be classified as a fairly loyal Ten-Tec owner with 3 TT
radios.
What I want to add is a small rig that would work well for portable
operations, has great cw operation, 100w, and is not tiring to listen
to.  For a number of reasons like power, agc, and selectivity my
Argonaut just doesn't do it.  The Omni VII would be a contender, but it
has no second receiver which I consider critical for split dx work.

All other features of the Orion II and the K3 aside, what I'm interested
in is how the two rigs sound on cw receive.  Let me explain why.
Of all the rigs I currently own, the Drake R4B is the hands down best in
terms of cw sound.  Next are the Omni VI+ and the Argonaut V.  The Orion
II comes in last.
To me, it sounds harsh.  That's the simplest way to put it.  In
addition, the passband tuning doesn't cut it compared to the Omni VI+ or
the Drake.  It doesn't peak like the others and it doesn't tune as
sharply.
The worst part is the sound isn't easy to listen to.  Any of you who
have used an Orion II and an Omni VI+ have probably noticed the
difference, or you haven't and you can call me nuts.

So fire away if you have used both rigs.  Even if you haven't and you
can tell me how to set up the Orion II to tune and sound better, I'd
love to hear that too (but I still want that portable cw rig!).
Thanks for your opinion!

73,
Wayne
K4ELO