Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509
From: "Denton" <denton@oregontrail.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 10:25:47 -0700
I also have a 230 ft horizontal loop up at 30 feet..and use it from 80 thru
10 meters.
Typically I get excellent..nice and strong..signal reports. I don't have an
amp in the place but can hold my own.
Currently I am feeding my loop with homebrew 600 ohm feeders, or ladder line
and use 400 ohm windowed line to pipe the rf into the shack...transmatch, or
antenna tuner currently is a Palstar BT1500A...a balanced L network.
I also have used a revamped Johnson Matchbox...the smaller one, which is a
link coupled transmatch with simply more taps added to get the other bands.
Either the Matchbox or the big Palstar transmatch will suffice.
Link coupled transmatches...like the Johnson Matchbox are typically very
sharp in tuning on 80 meters. The Palstar is much more forgiving.
As far as efficiency, I really can't tell much difference between the two.