Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509
From: "Alfred Lorona" <w6wqc@dslextreme.com>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 13:41:39 -0700
Bill Ames wrote:

>I have an Argonaut 509. My antenna is a full wave horizontal loop about 12
> to 18 ft above ground. What matching device between the loop and the rig
> will have the least loss while getting the most signal into the antenna
> for
> 80mt and 40mt?

It is not possible to say due to lack of data. However, as a first guess, an
L network is a good candidate to provide the least match loss. You have at
least two possible configurations of the two reactive components to choose
from and, if you are lucky, you may have 4 possible configurations. Then you
can choose the configuration that will have the least loss if you can model
the Q of the inductive component and use the impedance to be matched  and
coil Q in a tuner loss program.

73, AL