Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2008 14:08:44 -0700
 From a circuit standpoint, a two component floating L network would
work and have lower loss than a three component Tee network.  However,
from a practical standpoint, you are not going to notice the
difference.   At our Field Days, we do use the large Dentron Super
Tuner, with an external balun.  However, we also have used a Junior
Dentron and have not noticed any difference on receive or transmit
side.  I am not sure the external balun is any better, but we seemed to
get sharper tuning with the external, and it was rated for full power.
We run 100 watts, so at the 5 watt level, you should not have any
problems.  Out 1.5 to 2 lambda loops are 20 feet high on Field Day.
(We use them mainly on 20m and up, although they work fine on 75m/80m
and 40m.)

-Stuart
K5KVH