[TenTec] Balun

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Balun
From: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 04:17:37 -0700 (PDT)

 Thanks Doc Gerald.  That solved a few mysteries for me.

Now I
know why my vertical worked well on the roof of the house because I put
a voltage balun at the feed point.  It was luck because thats all what
was made in those years.

So now if I want to put up my 80M
folded dipole as an inverted vee again I need to find a 4:1 Current
balun and put it at the end of my short ladder line.  The inverted vee
folded dipole has a center impedance of 185 ohms.  Ladder line stays
out side, and I run coax the rest of the way.

An
isolator/current balun would stop the RF current coming into the shack
when placed just before the Lightning protection out side.

If your not in this type of situation then the next best place is at the out
put of the antenna tuner.  Attach a good RF ground directly to the tuner.

Do I have it correct?

Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD