Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 18:12:56 -0600
On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 20:58 -0700, Jim WA9YSD wrote:
> I did not say dipole,  I said INVERTED VEE.
>
> Type N connector from what I can remember from a friends test at Zenith on
> the HF freqs had for all practical purposes a flat line impedance across the
> connector.  The PL-259 had a huge jump in impedance.  How much of an effect
> does that jump in impedance have on receive signals?  Now, we did this about
> 1974 or so, so the quality of materials and frequency responses may have
> changed since then.  How many of these connectors needs to be installed
> before a noticeable change in a week DX signal is detected?   Do you count
> the Male and Female connector as one or two points of  loss?

The impedance bump is less than an inch long. If the ring is really
tight, the impedance bump doesn't introduce loss so much as it
introduces a change of impedance seen through the connector. At HF you
probably can't measure that change without introducing 50 connector
pairs one after the other.

>  BNC and C type connectors I see people are using these.  This is good input
> and nice to hear.  Darn good connectors.
>
> UHF PL type connectors are excellent.  Do not get these confused with the
> common HF PL-259.
>
> Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD

73, Jerry, K0CQ