[TenTec] Omni VII - First Impression

To: "TenTec List" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII - First Impression
From: "Wayne Whitman" <wwhitman@fastmail.fm>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 20:04:09 -0500
I stopped by the factory yesterday to try out the Omni VII.  (Nice to
meet you Stan and Scott)

I liked it.  To me, the sound was nicer than my Orion II.  They had an
Orion II side by side so it was easy to A/B the rigs.  A little more
mellow sounding than the O2 and not so harsh on the background noise.
Not too many signals on the bands but from what I could hear, the
performance was very good.  I could copy weak signals just as well on
either rig.  Controls were very intuitive with lots of options.  A
little quicker and easier to set options than on the Orion.  The
ergonomics were excellent.  A very easy rig to use.  It just feels
friendly.
Very easy to use the REV for split operation the way the button is
placed.  You can hold down the button and tune with the same hand.
I also like the way the AF/RF gain control works better than the O2.  In
addition, the multi-knob didn't seem as touchy as the O2.

The display is not the same technology as the O2 so the viewing angle is
somewhat critical and it doesn't refresh as fast.
The spectrum display is one-shot, but sounds like there is an option
coming at some point to fix that.

Other than those two things, there wasn't anything I didn't like, so I
will be ordering one next week.
But I'm not giving up my dx killer, aka Orion II.  At least not until
the Orion III comes out.
73,
Wayne
K4ELO