Re: [TenTec] OmniVI Plus Over Drive Amp

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OmniVI Plus Over Drive Amp
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 14:56:52 -1000
What do you mean by "300 watts out on SSB"? How are you measuring it?
300 watts indicated by a slow responding D'Arsonval meter movement,
could be 500 watts peak. If you can get 450 watts CW from the Hercules
II, before to overdrive light comes on, then it is probably working fine.

The procedure is to go to CW mode and adjust the RF power output of the
Omni VI to just under the level that lights the overdrive LED. Then in
SSB mode adjust the mic gain for ALC LED lighting on peaks. This
procedure should result in SSB peaks no higher than CW output power
level, and consequently no OVERDRIVE LED lighting.

If you have set the PWR control on the Omni VI such that CW drive power
level does not light the OVERDRIVE LED, and then in SSB mode the
OVERDRIVE LED does come on, the problem is likely in the ALC adjustments
in the Omni VI and not in the Hercules II.
> I kept speaking into the mic and turned down the power drive on the OMNI VI
> Plus until the OVERDRIVE led on the Hercules II stopped popping on.  That
> point was 300 watts out on SSB.  This situation only happens on SSB not on
> CW.
DE N6KB