Re: [TenTec] Orion II A9 Board Failure...Again!

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion II A9 Board Failure...Again!
From: Jim WA9YSD <wa9ysd@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 16:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
The R.L.Drake L7 amp power supply had the same issues.  The same for their
other amps.  My L-7 amp was no different.

What I did was buying some computer grade caps put them in series with
equalizing resistors.  I all so added the SB-200 kit that ramped the input
power supply voltage slowly to prevent the shock of the in rush when first
turning it on.  This totally defies the  authentic value of the equipment in
its original restoration shape.  Sure worked well, and did not have the caps
blowing.

It is characteristic for electrolytic caps to go cause they dry out.  Even the
USA made ones.  I had to replace many in tube type radios and TVs cause the
heat generated from the tubes would dry them out.

 Keep The Faith, Jim K9TF/WA9YSD