Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 16:23:15 -1000

> One item I forgot to mention is that if your SWR is not 1:1 on the coax then
> the coax is not matched which results in the coax starting to radiate RF and
> picking up RF. The latter can dramatically increase your noise level.

Wrong! When currents on the two conductors in any transmission line are
equal and opposite, there is no radiation. It doesn't matter if the SWR
is 1:1. SWR other than 1:1 on a system designed to be fed by a
particular impedance of coax is a good indication that something is
wrong, and the something that is wrong could also result in unequal
currents on the two conductors, and consequently radiation. SWR greater
than 1:1 does not necessarily make coax radiate.

DE N6KB