Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2008 21:28:27 -0700
On Sun, 6 Jul 2008 20:28:49 -0700, Alfred Lorona wrote:

>One way to eliminate it is to use a quarter wavelength long feedline with a
>good earth ground at the station end. The impedance at the ground end is
>ideally 0 ohms and the far end of the feedline shield looks like, ideally,
>an open circuit. The Rf current does not flow into an infinate impedance of
>millions of ohms! Worse case scenario is a feedline one half wavelength
>long. The impedance of the shield to the Rf at the dipole center is now zero
>ohms. The RF will love that!

>It is extremely difficult to avoid a common mode current unless the antenna
>is perfectly symmetrical in every respect to it's surroundings;  situation
>hardly every achieved in a practical installation.

Al,

You're right on target about antennas being unbalanced by their surroundings,
but you're in the dark ages with respect to solutions to this problem. See
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf  and
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/NCDXACoaxChokesPPT.pdf

The chokes described in my "cookbook" will virtually kill common mode current.
And these are multi-band solutions! You do NOT need to go to the trouble of a
resonant line.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC