Re: [TenTec] OT: SWR & Coax

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: SWR & Coax
From: Stuart Rohre <rohre@arlut.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 09:28:04 -0700
Coax consists of three conductors:   Center lead, inner shield, and
outer shield conducting surfaces.

The SWR of 1:1 refers to the shield inner surface current and the center
conductor current encountering no reactance, and the source impedance
being matched to the load impedance.

In normal operation the currents on center lead and inside the shield
are equal and opposite.
If the length of the coax makes a resonant structure such as an odd
multiple of a quarter wavelength, or if the coax is not lead away at
right angles to the antenna, current may be induced onto the outer
surface of the shield.  Thus, the formerly balanced shield current will
divide between the inner of the shield and the outer surface, and shield
radiation may result.

Many hams forget that coax actually has THREE conductors as detailed above.

-Stuart Rohre
K5KVH